Lies, Falsehoods and Misrepresentations from Boris Johnson to Rishi Sunak

‎The Government is “making universal credit more generous”.

Simon Clarke (Treasury Minister), BBC Breakfast


When pressed on if the government are considering any changes to Universal Credit Simon Clarke responded by saying: “Our action on Universal Credit as focussed in December on what was a major change in terms of the taper rate, the withdrawal rate of benefits as earnings go up, allowing people to keep much more of what they earn. That’s effectively a tax cut for two million people and its worth and average of £1,000.”

He said the Government was “making universal credit more generous”. 

Simon Clarke’s boss, Rishi Sunak, has actually cut Universal Credit by £1,000 per year. The policy Mr Clarke is talking about here only applies to the 40% of people receiving the benefit who are actually in work. It wont make a difference to the remaining 60% – 5.3million claimants – who aren’t in work. The overwhelming majority have lost £1,000 and not gained it. 

The latest annual poverty statistics show the chancellor’s decision to axe the £20 per week uplift rescinded 400,000 children back into poverty. 


Simon Clarke was misleading BBC TV viewers. We approached the Treasury press office and Mr Clarke’s office to give him a chance to comment, but received no response.

Scroll to Top